Wednesday 29 October 2014

Glue? I'd Rather Watch Paint Dry!!


Someone asked me the other day if I was watching Glue, the latest British by-the-numbers crime drama.  I replied ‘no’ curtly quickly moving the conversation on lest I damage their sensibilities with a diatribe about how formulaic and predictable television drama has become and putting them off me for life. Not that such a thing bothers me – I like to see people’s faces scrunch up when I enter a room, or hear that they have left the country to avoid me, but in this instance I was prepared to spare their feelings.  You see, TV schedulers seem to be under the impression that we are all obsessed with the antics of teenagers, and how they are some kind of social barometer for all of us. 



I can see why some might get caught up in the maelstrom and start believing it, having been spoon fed a diet of Beverly Hills 90210 (which has since dropped the Beverly Hills bit, as it sounded too grown up), Dawson’s Creek, Buffy, and countless Australian mental-fodder shows, all of which deign to show adolescents as righteous, upright citizens rather than the solvent sniffing, murderous, thieving scumbags that many are.  Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that all teenagers are like that, but a large majority are, and endless reruns of Gilmore Girls or Little House on the Prairie aren’t going to make them any better.

The one mould-breaker is the British offering, Hollyoaks which portrays life north of Liverpool in a realistic documentary kinda way rather than adding an overly sweet icing.  I have a kind of fascination with Hollyoaks – the only show on TV where everyone’s parents were only ten years old when they had their own kids and two generations occupy just 28 years age space.  I can actually believe this as I’m told that most people north of Watford (it’s a place in England) leaves school at 11 and immediately go on to have several snot-nosed offspring which they then abandon, only to return eighteen years later in the hope of forgivness, but only to become a thorn in their children’s side.  Actually I can imagine that last bit is not only true, but de rigour in Northern England, where barmaids eat their young.

And now we have teen drama infesting post-watershed time in the form of a whodunit set in idyllic countryside.  Personally, I couldn’t give a damn which one of the whiney, self-obsessed teenagers murder which other one, and the whole thing won’t impact on my life, but apparently the show has hit the rating, just proving that there are plenty around less discerning than me, so the networks are likely to be searching for more of this kind of dross to fill their allotted hours with, which is bad news for all of us.

Glue?  I really would rather be watching paint dry!


No comments:

Post a Comment